Falling in Love with Soon Jung 순정에 반하다 Review



☆☆☆☆☆

The 2015 Korean drama starring Jung Kyung-Ho as Kang Min-Ho, Kim So-Yeon as Kim Soon-Jung, and Yoon Hyun-Min as Lee Joon-Hee. Also known as “Falling for Innocence” or “Beating Again.”

Image result for falling in love with soon jung

Brief synopsis: Kang Min-Ho is already known to be heartless, but no one realizes just how serious of a condition that he really has until he collapses. Then he gets a miracle: a literal change of heart. But this change of heart seems to be gradually taking over his entire personality and seems to have a built-in GPS that leads him to one woman’s side so persistently.

Image result for falling in love with soon jung

There is an American Broadway musical called “Finian’s Rainbow,” in which a character named Og observes “That witch gave you a new outside, but she should have given you a new inside!” What fascinated me most about this drama is that our main character is really given a new inside but it’s something he has to accept, changing from the old to the new in almost every way. I kept thinking “How many times have I wanted to have a new personality and second chance, one that didn’t have the shortcomings I deal with now?” Kang Min-Ho was a fortunate guy to get this second chance at life, but it was even more interesting how he learned to cope with it and use it. He undergoes a process of accepting change and decides to use it, rather than reject it or treat it trivially. After watching this drama through, I came to realize that it wasn’t a lucky chance or act of providence that really gave Kang Min-Ho a new opportunity: it was his change of attitude. Isn’t that something that’s possible for anyone?

This drama was funnier than I expected! It felt like a merge of all sorts of themes: romantic comedy + crime/mystery + corporate politics + fantasty (just a little bit!). It was different, but it worked for me and I really enjoyed watching! I’ll admit, I’m not really a huge fan of the corporate politics theme in any drama, but this show was worth it. Yes, it took a couple episodes to get into, but I’m so glad I stuck with it.

So many good lines!
- “Think about it. Whoever it is, or whatever situation it is, if you keep making excuses to be around that person, that is love.”
- “That moment you throw out love from your heart is when you stop living a meaningful life.”
- “Stop being so charming, you ball of charms!” 😂😂

Image result for falling in love with soon jung

Jung Kyung-Ho really shined. He made me laugh but also moved my heart. This is a must-see for any fan!

Image result for beating again kdrama

Honestly, I was a little disappointed that we didn’t see what exactly happened with Min-Ho’s critical condition by the end, but it is probably because the producers were short on time (this is only a 16 episode series, after all) and Irving me what I wanted would have merited only a 30 minute extension. So it’s understandable, but also just a little disappointing. But it wouldn’t have changed the ending anyways!


Overall, it was fun and brought a lot of smiles! 5/5 stars!


Comments